A preventive visit is an annual appointment with your doctor intended to prevent illnesses and detect health concerns early, before symptoms are noticeable.
This visit includes a review of your medical and social history related to your health and education about preventive services, including these:
- Complete physical exam
- Vaccination review and update
- Age-appropriate heart disease screenings (blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol tests)
- Cancer risk screenings (pelvic exam, Pap smear, prostate and colorectal screenings)
- STD testing
- Evaluation for signs of depression
- Alcohol, depression, obesity and tobacco counseling
Preventive visits are an opportunity to discuss care areas, referral to other specialists and share lifestyle changes to establish a long-term health plan.