What systems are in the cardiovascular system?
The cardiovascular system is sometimes called the blood-vascular, or simply the circulatory system. It consists of the heart, which is a muscular pumping device, and a system of blood vessels called arteries, veins, and capillaries. It works to transport oxygen and other nutrients to all the organs and tissues in your body and it also works to remove carbon dioxide and other waste products.
What is cardiovascular disease?
Cardiovascular disease refers to a group of diseases that affect the heart and blood vessels. These diseases can affect one or many parts of heart and /or blood vessels. A person may be symptomatic (physically experience the disease) or be asymptomatic (not feel anything at all).
There are many different types of cardiovascular diseases including but not limited to:
- Arrhythmia:Abnormal heart rhythms or heart rates.
- Valve disease:Problem with the heart valves (structures that allow blood to flow from one chamber to another or blood vessel), such as valve tightening or leaking.
- Coronary artery disease:Problem with the blood vessels of the heart, such as blockages.
- Heart failure:Problem with heart pumping/relaxing functions, which can lead to fluid buildup and shortness of breath.
- Peripheral artery disease:Problem with the blood vessels of the arms, legs or stomach organs, such as blockages.
- Aortic disease:Problem with the large blood vessel that moves blood from the heart to the brain and rest of the body, such as an aneurysm.
- Congenital heart disease:Heart problem that a person is born with
- Pericardial disease:Problem with the lining of the heart, including pericarditis and pericardial effusion.
- Cerebrovascular disease:Problem with the blood vessels that bring blood to the brain.
- Deep vein thrombosis:Blockage in the veins, vessels that bring blood back from the brain and other parts of the body to the heart.
Are heart attacks and strokes cardiovascular diseases?
How to prevent cardiovascular and heart disease
There are different ways to prevent or manage cardiovascular disease depending on the specific type of cardiovascular disease. Here are some steps that you can take to prevent heart and cardiovascular disease include:
- Control High blood pressure
- Control LDL cholesterol levels
- Limit Tobacco use
- Make healthy lifestyle choices to prevent or manage Diabetes
- Consult with your provider for appropriate treatments including beta blocker and statin therapy
Find a Cardiologist
Choose your MagnaCare health plan; then search for a Cardiologist in the Find a Provider menu.
The American Heart Association is a nonprofit organization in the United States that funds cardiovascular medical research, educates consumers in an effort to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke. It is the nation’s oldest and largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease and stroke. Learn More>
The Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit American academic medical center focused on integrated health care, education, and research. Founded in 1992, Mayo Clinic Health System is as a network of community-based medical services. In 2021, it consisted of more than 40 hospitals and clinics in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Learn More >
The CDC is the leading national institute of public health. It is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services. The CDC provides a wealth of information about autism. Topics include diagnosis, treatment, research, and more. Learn More >